If you have a perception that a few twigs and leaves in your gutters are harmless, then you should think again. The regular gutter cleaning is the most important key in avoiding major and most expensive home repairs. Right from tree roots in the gutter to any small object that might block the gutter opening, you have lots of problems when the gutter gets blocked.
The gutters perform one duty: the controlling of the water around your home, especially during the rainy season. If debris keeps gutters from doing this hob, you can land up with some serious problems.
Below-Mentioned Simple Gutter Cleaning Tips You Can Considerably Help Avoid Certain Major & Expensive Home Repairs.
- Leaking gutters – The clogged gutters are one of the prime causes of basement water problems. When the gutters become clogged, the roof water then overflows and eventually accumulates around the foundation of the house.
- Cracks in the foundation –clogged gutters can cause the excess water against the foundation wall to keep it weakening with time and lead to major cracks on the foundation. This is specifically true in the colder months when the built-up water at the foundation freezes and then ultimately causes a condition which is referred to as “frost-heave” that can cause severe cracks to the foundation walls. This can have an overall effect on the condition of your home. Cracks in gutters and pipelines lead to insect infestation and water wastage to a large extent.
- Rotten wood – The water backing up from the extremely clogged gutters will most likely cause moisture damage to the wood fascia which is around the house. The rotten area will quickly get worse in case the leakage is not quickly eliminated by cleaning the gutters.
- Leaking roofs – During the winter season, the ice dams can form on the top of the clogged gutters. The snow then builds up across the top of the clogged gutter and ultimately this freeze. This enhances the chances of the ceiling and wall to be majorly damaged.
- Slippery sidewalks – The overflowing gutters can deposit a lot of water on the driveways and walks where this can freeze & cause a tripping hazard strongly. You should avoid this problem by keeping the gutters cleaning and the spouts extended away from any traffic areas.
- Washed out landscape – Any newly installed grass, plants or trees can be very brutally killed by excess water from the clogged gutters. The overflowing gutters can cause very severe erosion & put an early end to the young plants.
- Wood-destroying insects – The bugs always love and search for moisture. Keeping the gutters free of clogs and maintaining the soil in a dry state around the foundation perimeter can force the bugs to go elsewhere for a tasty snack.
Tips for gutter cleaning
In case you think your gutters require a good cleaning, here are a few tips which you should follow:
- Safety first – In case you are not comfortable with heights or do not use tall ladders so often, then cleaning gutters is not at all a suitable job for you.
- Basement waterproofing spray spouts – When you have managed to enter the end of the gutter where the sprout is, you should spray the hose down the gutter spout to ensure the same becomes clear. In case the spout is clogged, the water will certainly back up and cause a lot of issues.
No matter whichever gutter product you end up choosing, this is very crucial that you check the gutters periodically as well as be mindful of signs of clogging like over-flowing in a rainstorm. Maintaining a clean gutter by opting for gutter cleaning at regular intervals is the most effective way to keep the gutters clean and in proper condition.