Divorce is a mentally and emotionally torturing procedure for all, but when it comes to child custody, no one is willing to compromise. No matter how much you hate your ex, you would never want your child to go in wrong hands. Since your ex will also not leave any stone unturned to gain custody of the child, it becomes advantageous to hire child custody lawyers to represent your stand in the court as well.
Let’s see when you should hire them, why you should hire them, and what things to look for while hiring them.
When You Should Consider Hiring Child Custody Lawyers
If you have not yet hired a child custody lawyer, you should consider hiring one if any of the following situations have arisen:
- Your ex has also hired a lawyer.
- Complications in your case have gone beyond limits.
- You and your ex are living in different countries or states, and your case has become cross-jurisdiction.
- You think that your child is not safe with your ex.
- Ex is not allowing you to see your kids.
Why You Should Consider Hiring Child Custody Lawyers
Now that you have understood that you need to hire a child custody lawyer, let’s find out what advantages you would get by hiring one:
- A qualified child custody lawyer will put your and your child’s interests at the top priority. They will stay on your side; they will fight for you.
- Family law is complicated and many issues may arise during the court proceedings. A lawyer would know about these issues and stay prepared for them.
- Since you will have someone to support your arguments, you will appear in the courtroom with confidence.
- As far as legally binding payments are concerned, the lawyers will negotiate a reasonable sum and ensure that you do not end up paying an inequitable amount.
- Since most of the child custody cases are settled with mutual negotiation among the parents, your lawyer will make sure that the negotiations stay on your side, none of your legal rights is compromised, and the decisions are made with you and your child’s best interests.
- An experienced lawyer knows how to move forward in the case so that you achieve your goals and take full advantage of your ex’s weaknesses and strengths.
- While divorce and child custody involves a lot of emotions, it will be difficult for you to keep your emotions out of the courtroom. Therefore, child custody lawyers will stay focused on the details and maximise your chances of winning.
Things to Look for in Child Custody Lawyers
Here are a few things you must look for in a child custody lawyer before hiring one:
- Their experience, qualification, certification, license, and legal membership.
- A number of similar child custody cases they have handled so far.
- Type of resolution they expect, based on their assessment of your case.
- Their accessibility and response time.
- Their legal fees, along with other expenses.
Finding the Best Lawyer
Here are the steps to find the lawyers:
- Take recommendations from your friends, relatives, neighbours and colleagues and make a list of lawyers specialising in child custody. If you cannot get any referrals, you can also search for them online.
- Personally meet the shortlisted lawyers, discuss your case with them, find out about their qualifications and experience, and see what they say about your case and how they plan to handle it.
- Take notes during the meeting, review them with patience, and choose the one according to your requirements, preferences and budget.
While choosing the best child custody lawyers, the court will give preference to your child’s interests only. A good lawyer will fight your case in the courtroom and protect your legal rights so that your children are protected and cared for in the best manner that they deserve.