Bayside Local artist call-out
After the success of Bayside Local held early this year, artists with a link to Bayside are invited to apply for the 2020 exhibition which will be held 29 January – 8 March at Bayside Gallery.
Please see the application form for details via the link below.
Applications close Friday 18 October. We look forward to seeing your work!
PETS ARE PEOPLE TOO OPENING
Pets are people too brings together Australian artists whose work reflects on the intimacy and affection that exists between humans and animals.
Artists: Catherine Bell, Matthew Gove, Anastasia Klose, Bronwyn Hack, Kate James, Noel McKenna, Tim McMonagle, Kathy Temin, Jenny Watson
Exhibition opening: Saturday 27 July, 2-4pm at Bayside Gallery, Brighton Town Hall. All are welcome
Exhibition dates: 27 July – 6 October
EVENTS & WORKSHOPS
Open House Melbourne – Brighton Town Hall, Council Chambers and Civic Centre
Saturday 27 July, 1-5pm
The Council Chambers were complete in 1961 and designed by Kevin Knight. The interior of the circular foyer (now removed), Council Chamber and two circular meeting rooms were designed by Grant Featherston, one of Australia’s most significant modernist designers.
The Psychology of Pets panel discussion
Saturday 17 August, 2-3pm, Bayside Gallery
Dr. Liz Walker, CEO, RSPCA Victoria
Anastasia Klose, Animal Rehoming Officer and artist featured in Pets are people too
Kira Ryle, Founder, Trainer and Alpha Mama of Canine Code
Dr. Melanie Rockman, BVSc. MANZCVS.(Vet Animal Behaviour), lecturer & GP Veterinarian
Free, bookings essential.
España El Vito – The Spirit of Spain – Piano & Guitar Recital
Thursday 29 August, 7.30pm at The Button Factory, Cheltenham
Starring Nicholas Young, internationally acclaimed concert pianist & renowned 10 string Spanish classical guitarist Matthew Fagan.
You’ll also be the first to see the incredible transformation of The Button Factory into a vibrant event space.
$20 Adults, $15 Conc
Doggie Day Out at Bayside Gallery – FREE
Saturday 31 August, 1-5pm
We’re letting the dogs in for one afternoon only. Bring your four-legged friends to Bayside Gallery for a fun-filled afternoon of activities, treats and to see the exhibition Pets are people too.
This is a rare opportunity to appreciate art with your best friend.
Advantage Road Open Studios, Highett
Sunday 8 September, 11am – 3pm.
Discover Advantage Road, home to a thriving community of artists and makers in Bayside. Artists are opening their studios for one day only. You’ll see fascinating demonstrations by painters, printmakers, textile artists, milliners, ceramicists, sculptors and more. There will also be food, entertainment and creative fun for the kids.
Bayside Chamber Orchestra – Town Hall Musical Magnificence
Sunday 15 September, 2.30pm at Brighton Town Hall, Brighton.
Don’t miss Bayside Chamber Orchestra’s Spring concert in the beautiful Brighton Town Hall.
$20 Adults, $15 Concession, Children under 9 Free. You can also purchase tickets on the door.
1. Installation view of Bayside Local, Bayside Gallery, Photography: Mark Ashkanasy.
2. Matthew Gove, The cat reporter (detail) 2015, gouache, 28 x 28.5 cm. Courtesy the artist and Arts Project Australia, Melbourne.
3. Brighton Town Hall and Bayside City Council Chambers. Photography: Bayside City Council.
4. Noel McKenna, Tall dog at table (detail) 2015, oil on board, 41.5 x 44.5 cm. Ten Cubed Collection, Melbourne.
5. Matthew Fagan. Photography: Mark Russel. Nicholas Young. Photography: Max Bosse.
6. Nicole Salvo, Bayside Gallery Assistant Curator, with Bronte and Olive. Photography: Bayside City Council.
7. Rebecca Withington at her ceramics studio, Urban Clay. Photography: Suzi Appel Photography
8. Bayside Chamber Orchestra 2016. Photography Lucia Ondrusova.